Partnerships: why are they necessary and why are they hard, for inclusive business results?
Thurs 28th April at 6:30pm Delhi | 4pm Nairobi | 2pm London | 9am New York
Why are partnerships typically so fundamental to effective inclusive business strategies? And why are they so difficult in practice? What are the different types of partnerships needed to deliver business models, improve value chains, and build coalitions for change? These are the questions under discussion in the cross-sector webinar that brings together Sean de Cleene (Yara International) Darian Stibbe, (The Partnering Initiative) and Simon Brossard (Hystra) on 28th April at 2pm BST.
We will be discussing Yara’s experience in agriculture, Hystra’s experience in sanitation with the Toilet Board Coalition, and comparing cross-sector perspectives brought by The Partnering Initiative. We will look at two kinds of partnerships:
- partnerships that are catalysing value chain collaboration for disruptive business models: how Yara has engaged in these to roll out input supply to smallholders and how the Toilet Board Coalition has helped to catalyse these across businesses and other actors
- public-private alliances for change: how broad coalitions are seeking to transform agriculture and catalyse a sanitation revolution, and why and how businesses get involved.
- Sean de Cleene, Senior VP, Yara International
- Simon Brossard, Hystra, previously acting Secretariat at Toilet Board Coalition
- Darian Stibbe, The Partnering Initiative
Moderated by Caroline Ashley, Editor of the Practitioner Hub for Inclusive Business
Sean, will be drawing lessons from his 9 years at Yara immersed in a wide range of partnerships from the local (with rice millers and farmers’ associations) to the global (United Nations and World Economic Forum).
Simon will be discussing insights from the first year of the Toilet Board Coalition, an alliance that brings together large corporations, government agencies, multilateral institutions, sanitation experts and non-profit organisations, to accelerate market-based sanitation initiatives at the Base of the Pyramid.
Darian will share perspectives on multi-stakeholder collaboration and learning across sectors, drawing on years of experience working to unleash the power of partnership across business, government, NGOs and the UN. Tips on how to handle the challenges of partnership, drawn from TPI’s extensive partnership work and action research, will be shared.
- Creating Alliances to Accelerate Commercially Viable Sanitation (2015) – Hystra presents insights from the first year of the Toilet Board coalition.
- Partnerships and Inclusive Business Know How Page on the Practitioner Hub.
- There are 121 publications on partnerships on Searchinclusivebusiness.org
- Publications from The Partnering Initiative